"Animal Teachers," a picture book by Janet Halfmann, released April 19 from Blue Apple Books. The illustrator is Katy Hudson, of London, England.
In the forest, in the pond, in caves, prairies, and jungles, in all the world's outdoor "classrooms," baby animals are . . . learning! They are taking lessons on how to be an expert swimmer, alarm-sounder, racer-chaser, or hide-and-seeker. They don't have books, or desks, or computers. But they do have teachers!
"Animal Teachers," for children ages 3 to 8, has already received great reviews from "Publishers Weekly" and "Kirkus Reviews." Kirkus had this to say: "Nicely connecting the child to the natural world, this would be a useful opener for a unit about animals as well as a title to share with young animal lovers."
Halfmann's other new book for 2014, "A Rainbow of Birds," recently won a Preferred Choice Award from "Creative Child Magazine." The award, judged by educators and parents, is given to books that foster creativity and eduction in children.
"A Rainbow of Birds" is an original legend about how the birds gave the world the rainbow. Birds have their legends just like people do, and baby birds love to hear the stories. Papa Cardinal, whose job it is to pass down bird ways to his chicks, tells them the story of how birds gave the world the rainbow. It’s a tale of fun and squabbles and magic!
Halfmann has been writing for children for more than 30 years. Before becoming a children’s author, she was a newspaper reporter, managing editor of a children magazine, and a creator of color and activity books for Golden Books. Halfmann grew up on a farm in Michigan and now lives in South Milwaukee.
You can meet Janet and see her books:
Sat, Aug. 30, Bayview Art in the Park, Zillman Park, 2168 S Kinnickinnic Ave.
Two story times: noon and 1:30 pm; also 11 am to 3 pm free tattoos, make-a-hanging-rainbow activity, and book selling and signing
Thurs, Sept 4, 3 pm to 7 pm. South Milwaukee Downtown Market, 11th and Milwaukee, selling and signing of books
Halfmann’s books also are available at bookstores and online. You can find out more about her books here:
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- 8U Zone Baseball Looking To Fill Out Its Roster
- Sharpen your sleuthing skills for New Berlin Rotary's Murder Mystery Feb. 7
- Miss West Allis/New Berlin Scholarship Program
- Spring Fling Family Dance Workshop
- Free Help with Tax Returns Offered at MATC's Oak Creek and Downtown Milwaukee Campuses
- Future Cudahy Farmer's Market Valentine Family Fun Night-Fundraiser
- “Exploring Entrepreneurship” presented by the Wisconsin Women’s Business Initiative Corporation (WWBIC)
- Bartelt Named "Best of Houzz 2015"
- SSSF Mardi Gras Fundraiser to be held on February 14th
- SOUTH MILWAUKEE INCOMING FRESHMAN ORIENTATION NIGHT