AUDITIONS FOR “MESSIAH” SINGERS MONDAY, SEPT. 8
SOMERS — University of Wisconsin-Parkside Music Professor Dr. James Kinchen invites area vocalists to audition for the university’s Master Singers choral group and the opportunity to perform “Messiah,” the greatest story ever told set to the greatest music ever written. Auditions will be held Monday, Sept. 8, from 5 to 6:30 p.m.
The auditions and fall rehearsals prepare members for December performances of George Frideric Handel’s masterwork in the beautiful, acoustically superb Frances Bedford Concert Hall in the Rita Tallent Picken Regional Center for Arts and Humanities. These triennial UW-Parkside performances of “Messiah,” which first took place in 1993, have become an important fine-arts tradition in southeast Wisconsin. “Messiah,” one of the best known works in all of Western music, was composed in 1741.
In addition to vocal ability and choral skills, Dr. Kinchen said Master Singers participants must also be ready to work independently.
“The auditions are meant to ensure that our community singers have the vocal and musical skills necessary to make our rehearsals and performances outstanding artistic experiences,” Dr. Kinchen said. “The auditions are also intended to attract singers who are highly motivated to work on their music outside of rehearsal.”
The auditions take place in the choral rehearsal room, Room D164 of the Rita Tallent Picken Regional Center for Arts and Humanities (The Rita). Participants will sing in quartets with piano accompaniment and may be asked to sing twice or more to help complete the quartets. Dr. Kinchen said that singers who satisfy the audition requirements should come prepared to remain for the first rehearsal which begins at 7 p.m. Regular rehearsals thereafter are from 7 to 9:45 p.m each Monday evening leading up to the “Messiah” performances Dec. 6, 7 and 8.
For the audition, each singer should come prepared to perform “For unto us a Child is born,” “Behold, the Lamb of God,” and “Their sound is gone out.” Singers who have performed “Messiah” with Master Singers in 2008 or 2011 will not need to audition, unless it is deemed necessary by the director.
Appointments for the Monday, Sept. 8, auditions are preferred, but walk-ins are also welcome. For more information or to make an appointment, contact Dr. Kinchen at email@example.com by email or call the choral office at 262-595-2111.
University of Wisconsin-Parkside
Director, Strategic Communications
- South Milwaukee Residents Invited to Help Stamp Out Hunger
- Sister Edna’s Jewelry Gets Shiny New Look
- JB’s on 41 Kicks Off Kids Bowl Free Program with Country Family Fun Day on May 1
- One week left to consider virtual education for your child
- Go Green, Gold and Pink for Breast Cancer Awareness
- Becky’s Blissful Bakery Enters Partnerships to Create Cutting-Edge Caramel Pairings; First of its Kind in the Caramel Industry
- UW-Parkside Adult Learner Open House April 26
- Spring Estate and Rummage Sale at St. Ann Center
- Wrestling Featuring Bobby Heenan
- South Milwaukee Performing Arts Center Announces Summer Youth Theatre Willy Wonka KIDS and Alice in Wonderland, JR.