South Milwaukee Outdoor Market temporarily relocates due to road construction. Season opener on track for June 5th.
South Milwaukee Downtown Market Opens Summer Season June 5
Event Moves to Temporary Location due to Road Project
SOUTH MILWAUKEE (May 10, 2014) -- The South Milwaukee Downtown Market opens its sixth summer season on June 5 at a new temporary home.
Due to road construction, the outdoor market will kick off 2014 in a temporary space only one block away, as Caterpillar and Salvatore’s/Papa Luigi’s have stepped up to grant temporary use of their parking lot on 12th & Milwaukee Avenues. Road construction at the market’s 11th Avenue site is anticipated to be finished in late July, and the market will move back to its original home then.
The market board favored this location because it keeps the event downtown, is close to the market’s normal location and has required vendor space and customer parking.
The outdoor market will be held every Thursday afternoon and evening June 5 through October 9. Hours are 3 to 7 p.m. There will be no market on July 3.
Vendors also continue to show a strong commitment to our market. As of early May, more than 35 vendors have signed commitments for week one, and that number is growing every day. Customers will see many familiar vendors from last year’s market and always some new ones. There will also be prepared food vendors at the market, as organizers want to offer a true “night out” for customers.
The temporary location can host as many as 70 vendor spaces (some with power), a portable restroom and an area for live music. If patrons wish to stay, picnic, and listen to music at the temporary site, they will need to bring their own lawn chairs.
“It’s great to see the community and area businesses continue to rally behind the market,” South Milwaukee Downtown Market Chairman Dave Kieck said. “We have a great event here, and people want to be a part of it. It’s truly become a celebration of all our city has to offer.”
Since its launch in 2009, the Downtown Market has grown to become one of the largest markets in the area, attracting dozens of vendors and hundreds of patrons each week to downtown South Milwaukee for a truly unique shopping experience.
Vendor space is still available for business who make, bake or grow their own products. More information on the South Milwaukee Downtown Market, vendor forms and special events are at www.smmarket.org
Work is already underway on 11th Avenue reconstruction, which, besides a new roadway, will deliver decorative lighting and other features to make the entire corridor more attractive.
- Kitten Baby Shower Saturday May 7 at Second Hand Purrs
- Interfaith Older Adult Programs Announces 2016 Pearls of Wisdom Award Recipients
- South Milwaukee Little League Opening Day
- Barrett Lo Visionary Development Announces Valentine Coffee Co. as Newest Tenant at Emerald Row
- South Milwaukee Residents Invited to Help Stamp Out Hunger
- Sister Edna’s Jewelry Gets Shiny New Look
- JB’s on 41 Kicks Off Kids Bowl Free Program with Country Family Fun Day on May 1
- One week left to consider virtual education for your child
- Go Green, Gold and Pink for Breast Cancer Awareness
- Becky’s Blissful Bakery Enters Partnerships to Create Cutting-Edge Caramel Pairings; First of its Kind in the Caramel Industry