The Northern Athletics Conference announced the all-conference awards for the 2011-12 women's basketball season and Alverno College senior-forward Alicia Kontowski (South Milwaukee, Wis.) received honorable mention of the All-NAC teams.
Additionally, Hannah Galstad represented the Inferno on the All-Sportsmanship team.
The all-conference teams included six-member first and second teams, and six honorable mentions this season. The awards are voted on by the league's head coaches.
Kontowski scored a team-best 12.6 points per game for the Inferno (9-16, 5-13) and also snagged 5.4 rebounds per game, second on the team. Her scoring average is currently ranked 11th in the conference.
The two-time team captain led the team -- and is 10th in the league -- with 74.3 percent accuracy from the free-throw line and was also tops on the team in makes (78) and attempts (105).
"Alicia has had a great 4-year career and had a very nice senior season," Alverno head coach Brad Duckworth said. "I am really happy the opposing coaches saw what I saw every night. As an undersized post she was great. To finish 11th in the league in scoring and have to play against posts much bigger all year shows what a season she had."
Kontowski capped off her 4-year career by becoming the school's all-time 3-point leader with 125 career makes. She was second with a 73.7 free-throw percentage and third on the all-time scoring list with 932 career points.
Galstad (Holmen, Wis.), a senior guard, started in all 25 games and was second on the team with a 10.0 scoring average. She was also coach Duckworth's selection for the All-Sportsmanship team last season.
"I’m very proud of Hannah," Duckworth commented. "I think she is the model Division III student-athlete and she is very deserving of this honor."
The All-Sportsmanship Team included one member from each school that was chosen based on the principles of sportsmanship as promoted by the NAC and NCAA.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Annual Easter Egg Hunt
- South Milwaukee native Jerome Kitzke performing at SMPAC Poetry in Music/Music in Poetry
- April 19: Meet Sundance Award-Winner & South Milwaukee Native Chad Gracia, Ukrainian Fedor Alexandrovich
- Potty Training Tips for Toddlers
- 3rd Annual South Milwaukee Breakfast with the Easter Bunny & Easter Egg Hunt
- Print all In new window NEWCASTLE PLACE TO HOST MEMORIES IN THE MAKING ART SHOWCASE
- Oak Creek Public Library Family Fun Night Fun With Food
- HISPANIC PROFESSIONALS OF GREATER MILWAUKEE ANNOUNCES CRISTINA SARALEGUI AS KEYNOTE SPEAKER FOR FIVE STAR GALA
- Home & Garden Show Runs March 25-29
- Breakfast for a Brighter Tomorrow