The Northern Athletics Conference announced the all-conference awards for the 2011-12 women's basketball season and Alverno College senior-forward Alicia Kontowski (South Milwaukee, Wis.) received honorable mention of the All-NAC teams.
Additionally, Hannah Galstad represented the Inferno on the All-Sportsmanship team.
The all-conference teams included six-member first and second teams, and six honorable mentions this season. The awards are voted on by the league's head coaches.
Kontowski scored a team-best 12.6 points per game for the Inferno (9-16, 5-13) and also snagged 5.4 rebounds per game, second on the team. Her scoring average is currently ranked 11th in the conference.
The two-time team captain led the team -- and is 10th in the league -- with 74.3 percent accuracy from the free-throw line and was also tops on the team in makes (78) and attempts (105).
"Alicia has had a great 4-year career and had a very nice senior season," Alverno head coach Brad Duckworth said. "I am really happy the opposing coaches saw what I saw every night. As an undersized post she was great. To finish 11th in the league in scoring and have to play against posts much bigger all year shows what a season she had."
Kontowski capped off her 4-year career by becoming the school's all-time 3-point leader with 125 career makes. She was second with a 73.7 free-throw percentage and third on the all-time scoring list with 932 career points.
Galstad (Holmen, Wis.), a senior guard, started in all 25 games and was second on the team with a 10.0 scoring average. She was also coach Duckworth's selection for the All-Sportsmanship team last season.
"I’m very proud of Hannah," Duckworth commented. "I think she is the model Division III student-athlete and she is very deserving of this honor."
The All-Sportsmanship Team included one member from each school that was chosen based on the principles of sportsmanship as promoted by the NAC and NCAA.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- “Grillologists,” Lambeau Leap Inventor, and Local Experts on Food to Present at Milwaukee/NARI Home Improvement Show
- House of Love Celebration '15 Is Almost Here!
- Cudahy Board of Education Approves Inquiry into Purchase of South Shore YMCA Building
- Friends of Pulaski Park-Cudahy Planning Park Upgrade
- Cudahy School District Increases Aquatics Programming
- End of an Era
- Oak Creek Library Make and Take Craft Program
- An Open Letter to Governor Walker Regarding "Easy" Teacher Licensure
- 8U Zone Baseball Looking To Fill Out Its Roster
- Sharpen your sleuthing skills for New Berlin Rotary's Murder Mystery Feb. 7