MADISON, WI – Election experts from the Government Accountability Board will be in South Milwaukee to speak at a public meeting about Wisconsin’s new Voter Photo ID Law.
The meeting, hosted by South Milwaukee Clerk’s Office will be held at 6:00 pm – 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, January 19, 2012 in the Administrative Building at 2424 15th Avenue.
Earlier this year, the Legislature passed the Voter Photo ID Law, which was signed by Governor Walker on May 25. In addition to requiring voters to show an acceptable photo ID to receive a ballot, the law contains other important changes to the voting process, including a longer, 28-consecutive-day residency period and a requirement for voters to sign the poll list.
“These are the most significant changes to Wisconsin’s elections since 18-year-olds won the right to vote in 1971,” said Kevin Kennedy, Wisconsin’s chief elections officer. “There are also important exceptions in the laws, which are not widely understood, for some absentee voters who are indefinitely confined for health reasons or who vote by mail on a consistent basis.”
“The law requires the G.A.B. to conduct a statewide voter education and outreach campaign,” said Elections Division Administrator Nathaniel E. Robinson. “An important part of the campaign is getting out into the community and speaking to local groups who want to learn more about the law, and how they can help make sure everyone who needs a photo ID gets one.”
The presentation covers what forms of identification are acceptable, and how to go about getting a state ID card for free if a voter doesn’t currently have an acceptable ID. The G.A.B. staff has produced a wide range of educational materials explaining the Voter Photo ID Law, which will be distributed at the meeting.
Voters are also encouraged to visit the G.A.B.’s website (http://gab.wi.gov) for information about the new law. A statewide, multi-media public education campaign about Voter Photo ID will start in early January 2012. The first election at which a photo ID will be required is February 21, 2012.
- Author Visit with Elizabeth Kokalis - May 14th
- Kitten Baby Shower Saturday May 7 at Second Hand Purrs
- Interfaith Older Adult Programs Announces 2016 Pearls of Wisdom Award Recipients
- South Milwaukee Little League Opening Day
- Barrett Lo Visionary Development Announces Valentine Coffee Co. as Newest Tenant at Emerald Row
- South Milwaukee Residents Invited to Help Stamp Out Hunger
- Sister Edna’s Jewelry Gets Shiny New Look
- JB’s on 41 Kicks Off Kids Bowl Free Program with Country Family Fun Day on May 1
- One week left to consider virtual education for your child
- Go Green, Gold and Pink for Breast Cancer Awareness