South Milwaukee Little League (SMLL) will host its 58th annual opening day celebration in South Milwaukee on May 7. The South Milwaukee tradition features a parade throughout the city, followed by an afternoon of activities at the league’s complex at 700 Mackinac Ave. SMLL hopes to expand on the great successes of last season, especially the phenomenal performance of the major softball All Star team which earned a regional tournament berth and came within two games of an appearance at the Little League World Series.
The festivities begin at 12:30pm, as the little leaguers march through the city towards the beginning of their season. This year over 400 sluggers will be joined by several South Milwaukee dignitaries, the Daryl Huck Memorial Scholarship participants, Bernie Brewer, and the famous Klement’s Racing Sausages. The parade ends at SMLL Park where opening day ceremonies commence. Following the ceremonies the little league season officially begins with games starting at 2:00pm.
Typically attended by over 1,500 residents of South Milwaukee, Cudahy, and St. Francis, the day of festivities is an affordable option for parents looking for fun things to do with their kids. Admission is free and a family of four can easily eat for $10-15, choosing from the wide selection available at the recently renovated concession stand. Attendees can also check out SMLL’s innovative standings and schedule boards in the clubhouse. Giveaways and raffles will also take place throughout the day.
South Milwaukee Little League is a non-profit organization and was founded in 1954. It has served the cities of South Milwaukee, Cudahy, and St. Francis for 56 years. Hundreds of children from those communities between the ages of 7 and 18 enjoy playing in the league every summer. The league seeks to promote the lifelong benefits of team sports and fosters a sense of community among all who participate.
For additional information visit SMLL's website at www.eteamz.com/smll
- 40th Anniversary of the SM 1976 State Basketball Champs
- South Milwaukee Downtown Market temporarily moves for Evening on the Avenue Street Festival
- USO Motorcycle Ride
- Oak Creek Majors Girls Softball Wins State Title
- St Francis School District Rummage Sale
- South Milwaukee Performing Arts Center Presents: The Donny McCaslin Group- Musicians on David Bowie's Blackstar
- #YourStoryMKE Shares Personal Stories About Those Benefiting from Catholic Charities’ Programs
- Book Release Party at Cudahy Family Library
- Bay View Historical Society Annual Walk on August 6th
- Tour to New York, Atlantic City and Philadelphia!