Police Chief Ann Wellens announced today that a team of assessors from the Wisconsin Law Enforcement Accreditation Group (WILEAG) will arrive in South Milwaukee on March 28, 2011. The assessors will be at the South Milwaukee Police Department for a three day on-site assessment to examine all aspects of the South Milwaukee Police Department’s policy and procedures, management, operation and support services. Chief Wellens stated that the verification by the assessors is a way to formally recognize the quality of our organization and ensures that our agency meets the WILEAG standards.
As part of the on-site assessment, agency employees and members of the community are invited to offer public comments to the assessment team on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 at 5:00pm at the South Milwaukee City Hall located at 2424 15th Avenue, South Milwaukee. If an individual cannot speak at the Public information session, but would still like to provide comments to the assessment team they may do so by phone on March 29, 2011 from 1:00pm-3:00pm by calling 414-333-1957.
Both telephone comments and appearances at the public information session are limited to 10 minutes and must address the agency’s ability to comply with WILEAG’s standards. A copy of the standards is available at the South Milwaukee Police Department by contacting Captain Jill Kallay.
Any person wishing to provide written comments about the South Milwaukee Police Department’s ability to meet the standards for accreditation may also write to Wisconsin Law Enforcement Accreditation Group c/o 2720 Boles Circle, Wisconsin Rapids, WI 54495.
The South Milwaukee Police Department must comply with 238 standards in order to gain accredited status. “The accreditation process” Chief Wellens said, “is a way to confirm through an outside agency that the South Milwaukee Police Department is based on sound policies and procedures.” “It also shows that our agency is made up of very professional men and women who strive for excellence in the areas of policing and public safety.”
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New "Sporkies" Food Competition Has Wisconsin State Fair Vendors Competing For Coveted Golden Spork Award
- Kids Travel Around the World for Children's Book Week
- A Musical Benefit for Project Concern
- Free Culinary Camps for High School Students to be Held at MATC’s Oak Creek Campus in June
- Family Movie Night
- Girl Scout Daisy Flower Garden Party
- STM Student Wins Prestigious Gates Scholarship
- South Milwaukee resident received Alverno College degree on May 18
- Wisconsin BBB Advises: Beware of Green Dot MoneyPak Scams
- Ted Lang Speed and Agility Camp at Cudahy High School (June 17th-21st)