SOUTH MILWAUKEE – Scandinavian meatballs and gravy. Parsley-buttered potatoes. Buttered corn. Traditional lefse. Homemade desserts. What’s not to love?
A South Milwaukee tradition returns on Friday, Jan. 28, when Trinity Lutheran Church will hold its Meatball Supper for the 33rd straight year.
Hours are 4 to 7 p.m. The dinner is served family-style in the handicapped-accessible fellowship hall of the church, 2507 5th Ave. Takeout is available.
The meatballs highlight the meal.
The church has used the same closely guarded Norwegian recipe since the supper began decades ago. (The exact date is unknown, as the event was also held sporadically before the late 1970s.)
And then there’s the lefse, a Norwegian flatbread made with potatoes, milk and flour using special utensils and cooked on a griddle. The result? A unique and tasty Scandinavian treat that dates back centuries. Try it rolled up, with butter.
Hungry yet? Pre-sale tickets are available at Trinity at $9 each for those 11 and over. Kids 6-10 are $4, and those 5 and under are free. At the door, tickets are $9.50 and $4.50.
“Yes, Lutherans love to eat. But this is not just a Trinity event – this is a community event,” Trinity Pastor Bill Mains said. “We try hard to be strong community partners, and we bring that commitment to life with great activities like this. Our lefse is your lefse. And as they say in the Mains house: There’s always room for one more meatball.”
Learn more about Trinity Lutheran Church at its website: www.tlcsm.org.
- Join the Fight Against Cancer! Register for the Relay For Life of the Southern Eight!
- Governor Walker Invests in Cudahy for Fab Lab Equipment
- Author Visit with Elizabeth Kokalis - May 14th
- Kitten Baby Shower Saturday May 7 at Second Hand Purrs
- Interfaith Older Adult Programs Announces 2016 Pearls of Wisdom Award Recipients
- South Milwaukee Little League Opening Day
- Barrett Lo Visionary Development Announces Valentine Coffee Co. as Newest Tenant at Emerald Row
- South Milwaukee Residents Invited to Help Stamp Out Hunger
- Sister Edna’s Jewelry Gets Shiny New Look
- JB’s on 41 Kicks Off Kids Bowl Free Program with Country Family Fun Day on May 1