A 40-year-old man died after speeding and crashing his vehicle in the early morning hours of Dec. 13 in South Milwaukee.
According to a South Milwaukee Police Department news release:
At about 1:51 a.m. Dec. 13, a South Milwaukee police officer, while running stationary radar, observed a vehicle pass him at approximately 25 mph over the posted speed limit. The vehicle failed to stop for both audible and visual signals and subsequently crashed.
The fleeing vehicle had accelerated to a point that the officer could no longer see the vehicle. The officer was not actively pursuing the vehicle at the time of the crash. After the officer lost sight of the vehicle the officer traveled approximately 11 blocks before discovering a vehicle which had crashed in the 700 block of Edgewood Ave. The vehicle is believed to have been the fleeing vehicle.
The vehicle was on fire and the fire spread to a nearby house. The residents of the house were safely evacuated.
The driver, who was declared dead at the scene, was identified as a 40-year-old Caledonia resident, John Janick. Janick was the sole occupant of the vehicle.
The Wisconsin State Patrol assisted in the accident investigation, which is ongoing.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- South Shore police report: September 11, 2014
- South Shore police report: September 4, 2014 issue
- South Shore police report: August 28, 2014 issue
- South Shore police report: August 21, 2014 issue
- South Shore police report: August 14, 2014 issue
- South Shore police report: August 7, 2014 issue
- South Shore police report: July 24, 2014 issue
- South Shore police report: July 17, 2014 issue
- South Shore Police Report: May 23
- Man cited for battery after striking man in face with skateboard