Nearly 100 of the best and brightest student "CEOs" in the metro Milwaukee area competed in the Junior Achievement annual JA Business Challenge on Feb. 13. The event was presented by Kohl's Cares and hosted at Briggs & Stratton Corporation. Teams of local students from 15 area high schools were paired up with area business leaders to test their business knowledge.
Teams from 15 high schools in the four-county metro area set up virtual businesses to make a fictional product called a Hallo-Generator. Each team made their own business decisions regarding price, production, marketing, capital investment, payroll management and research and development.
The success or failure of the company depended on how well the students managed these key decisions. Success was measured by a computer program called the JA Titan that judged the knowledge of the students' decisions, based on business models.
"The Junior Achievement Business Challenge provides a great opportunity for high school students to gain the business acumen and leadership skills they will need to successfully participate in the global economy," said Tim Greinert,pPresident of Junior Achievement of Wisconsin.
"Kohl's and Junior Achievement share a strong commitment to kids' education initiatives, and we are proud to present the JA Business Challenge," said Kevin Mansell, chairman, president and CEO of Kohl's Department Stores. "We believe this program creates a unique learning opportunity for Milwaukee area youth and helps prepare them for future success and business leadership."
Area high school teams that competed:
· First Place Red: Bayview High School; Ally Milinski, Amy Sanchez and Michele Kosmalski; adviser: Dan Erdmann, Kohl's Department Stores
· Second Place Red: South Milwaukee High School; Jessie Agastra, Nadia Mandilawi and William Markowiak; adviser: Cheryl Diderich, CFS Market Connections
· First Place White: St. Francis High School; Haley Feuling, Ryan Deck and Caytie Joe Boknevitz; adviser: Jeremiah Bloomberg, UPS
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- South Shore police report: July 24, 2014 issue
- South Shore police report: July 17, 2014 issue
- South Shore Police Report: May 23
- Man cited for battery after striking man in face with skateboard
- South Shore Police Report: May 12
- South Shore Police Report: May 5
- Police Report: April 28
- Police Report: April 21
- Police Report: April 14
- Police Report: March 17