South Milwaukee may not have a farmers market this summer.
Fred Bauer, organizer of the South Milwaukee Green Market, said his health will keep him from managing the market, and he's struggling to find someone to take on the responsibility.
So far, however, Bauer said he's been telling people to look for the market, which is usually held at Divine Mercy Parish, 1304 Manitoba Ave., on Thursdays between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. from May to October.
Bauer's operation is currently the only farmers market in the city.
Members of the South Milwaukee Community Development Authority briefly discussed using a city-owned lot off Chicago Avenue, but have ruled it out for now.
Danielle Devlin, CDA executive director, said the location likely would require environmental remediation. Also, pending construction on Chicago Avenue could make for congested traffic and dusty conditions.
"It's just not possible on that site this summer," Devlin said.
Isral DeBruin can be reached at (262) 446-6608.
Anyone interested in taking leadership of the South Milwaukee Green Market should call Fred Bauer at (262) 835-4386.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- South Shore police report: Dec. 11, 2014
- South Shore police report: Dec. 4, 2014
- South Shore police report: Nov. 20, 2014
- South Shore police report: Nov. 13, 2014
- South Shore police report: Nov. 6, 2014
- Building residents cited after fight breaks out about mail
- South Shore police report: October 30, 2014
- South Shore police report: October 23, 2014
- South Shore police report: October 16, 2014
- South Shore police report: October 9, 2014