Homeowners in South Milwaukee need to circle Sept. 9 on their calendars. There will be a hearing on that day regarding a water rate increase held at 10 a.m. in the South Milwaukee Library Board room, 1907 10th Ave. The proposed rate increase is 52 percent.
This huge increase is unacceptable during these hard economic times.
Our senior residents are living on a fixed income and none of the retirees received a cost of living adjustment this past year.
We also have many homeowners in this community that are unemployed. Many of the people who do have jobs work for minimum wage.
A reasonable water rate hike would be acceptable, but not a 52-percent increase.
The person or persons requesting this huge increase are not showing any compassion for the homeowners of this community.
I urge all homeowners in South Milwaukee to attend this hearing and make their voices heard.
Editor's note: This letter is being re-printed because the increase listed in the Aug. 26 issue of South Shore NOW was incorrect. The 52-percent increase listed above is the proposed increase listed in Mr. Glinecki's letter to us. We regret the error.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- South Shore police report: April 23, 2015
- South Shore police report: April 16, 2015
- Tornado watch in effect
- South Shore police report: April 9, 2015
- South Shore police report: April 2, 2015
- South Shore police report: March 19, 2015
- South Shore police report: March 5, 2015
- South Shore police report: Feb. 26, 2015
- South Shore police report: Feb. 19, 2015
- South Shore police report: Feb. 12, 2015