Kevin Fischer is a veteran broadcaster, the recipient of over 150 major journalism awards from the Milwaukee Press Club, the Wisconsin Associated Press, the Northwest Broadcast News Association, the Wisconsin Bar Association, and others. He has been seen and heard on Milwaukee TV and radio stations for over three decades. A longtime aide to state Senate Republicans in the Wisconsin Legislature, Kevin can be seen offering his views on the news on the public affairs program, "InterCHANGE," on Milwaukee Public Television Channel 10, and heard filling in on Newstalk 1130 WISN. He lives with his wife, Jennifer, and their lovely young daughter, Kyla Audrey, in Franklin.
The Barking Lot is a regular weekly feature of This Just In…Written by my lovely wife, Jennifer and me. It opens with the weekend dog walking forecast followed by the main blog from dog lover, Jennifer. Then it’s DOGS IN THE NEWS and our close. Enjoy!
THE WEEKEND DOG-WALKING FORECAST: We grade the weather outlook for taking your pet outdoors.
TODAY: Sunny. High of 82. "A"
SUNDAY: Partly cloudy. High of 88. "A"
Here’s my lovely wife, Jennifer with this week’s main blog:
There are probably dozens of lists out there giving you reasons why dogs are the best pet. This week, I’m providing MY OWN reasons. I’ve had the pleasure of owning a rabbit, two dogs and two cats during my youth. Thanks to childhood friends, I was also exposed to pets such as gerbils, hamsters, fish, birds, and guinea pigs. While each species has their own redeeming vaules, in my opinion NOTHING comes close to the amazingness of dogs.
Why are dogs so awesome? Here are my Top Ten reasons:
10. They are beautiful. Each breed (in it’s own special way) possesss attribues that make it gorgeous. It could be a silky coat, striking gait, or unusual tail that catches your eye.
9. They are adaptable. You can find numerous articles & videos that highlight how dogs can go from security guard, military personnel, or service provider to family pet just by literally removing their work vests.
8. They are smart. While no one questions the intelligence of canines, current research is finding just how incredibly brainy our canine compainions are. As mentioned previously, my Springer Spaniel was smarter than many people I know.
7. They are entertaining. Whether you are tossing a ball in the back yard with your pooch or watching “dog dancing” on TV, our four-legged friends never fail to charm us with their behaviors. Not to mention how many movies and TV programs feature dogs!
6. They are talented. Search YouTube and you’ll see dogs dance, “sing,” fetch countless items for their owners, run obstacle courses, and jump higher than humans to catch a frisbee.
5. They are life savers. Every week you can find stories about dogs saving their owners from burning homes. They are incredibly reliable in emergency situations. They provide much-needed healing whether it’s physical, mental, or emotional pain.
4. They are dependable. You never have to worry about your dog “being there” for you. They wait patiently for your return home every day. They are there when you need a lick, and always have an ear to listen to your problems.
3. They are loyal. You never have to worry about your dog cheating on you, telling your innermost secrets to anyone, or deciding that your relationship isn’t what they wanted after all. Your buddy will be with you always.
2. THEY can teach US. They don’t discriminate – they are happy to get a pat on the head from any hand… young or old, healthy or ill, male or female. They have endless capacity for affection. And they don’t lose their patience.
And the number one reason in my opinion why dogs are the best ever:
1. They offer unconditional love. Fine, let some researchers say that dogs can’t “love.” I don’t believe it and I don’t think the majority of common dog owners do either. Look into your pup’s eyes: if that’s not love for you, I don’t know what it is. You can come home late, forget their birthday, buy them the wrong food, or not spend as much time with them as they’d like. You can be sick, crabby, or have a bad hair day and they don’t care. They will always, ALWAYS love you.
Seems to me, they should have their own special, nationally recognized day. Oh wait, they do!
Time now for DOGS IN THE NEWS, canines that made headlines the past week.
In Detroit, humans dwindle, but abandoned dogs roam in packs.
Puppy pinata photo leads to police investigation.
Again, how does this happen?
Did this vet do the right thing?
His neck was sliced open.
Autistic girl told to transfer school over service dog.
KFC is being sued.
The man claims it's torture.
Big Brother and poo.
Olly is a political activist.
Which do you save, the human or the dog? Depends.
Home alone dogs.
Yep, it's rare.
Because reminders are always in order...
Hurt dog brings out the best in strangers.
Column: The emotional prospects of adopting a pup.
THAT'S IT FOR DOGS IN THE NEWS.
HERE'S OUR DOG PHOTO OF THE WEEK:
Next, you have to see it to believe it.
See ya, BARK, next week!